It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Do we have enough ??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:46 pm 

What do you think Guys ?? With or wthout Sean, do we have enough to compete right now favorably with the MVC teams ? I believe we do.

I of course live too far away to visit with you folks---My take is that we now have FINALLY a big team--First one in ages-- If we get Sean --well, look out !!!

Discuss --Please

Post subject: Re: Do we have enough ??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:24 pm 

Sean would be a great addition...a very good post player for us.

That said, we have this team (barring injury) for 2 years. Our only seniors this year are Dixon, Boone and Clark.

I am greatly looking forward to the growth of this team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

Years ago, I used to think that talent was the most important thing, and that if we just had one or two more excellent, athletic players we could get over the hump toward being a perennial winning team. But somewhere toward the middle of the Farmer years, as Butler was repeatedly winning the conference with a starting five that contained only one or two players more talented than the Loyola starting five, it became apparent to me that superior on-court talent only accounted for maybe 30-45 percent of the total calculus of composing a winning program.

Sideline x's and o's coaching, developing a successful overall system, composing solid game plans, player development, game management, selectively recruiting players that fit into a cohesive system, managing the roster to achieve development of position redundancy, and ensuring player eligibility are all elements of building a successful college system that account for MORE than 50% of making a winning program. You can't do it on having outstanding players alone-- if the other elements are weak, the best you can expect is one or two good (but not great) seasons before you have to completely rebuild from scratch.

I won't risk offending anyone by going into detail on what I think are our current strengths and weaknesses are, specifically. I'll just say that I think our talent level going into this season is around a B+. I think the committment from the athletic department and the upper managment of the University is at A-. I think this season will reveal where we are in terms of some of the other important elements toward building a winning program for the long term. Given the fact that we've gone so long without a post-season appearance and with a complacency toward mediocrity, I'd like to see some progress toward reversing that in our marquee sport.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:24 pm 

This is what I am looking for. Go nailed it when he wrote of having this exact bunch for two years--That is a basis for continuity--assuming talent is there. That we have.
John , I feel is discussing the same thing but adding the importance of Coaching and recruiting. We shall see this season if PM really fits the bill. His recruits are far better than what we had--far better. But does this tell the entire story??--Only play in games will determine that. His aaology of Butler is a truism, They got by on solid old time Hoops --game after game after game. It truly mystified the so-called High Majors--for a while.

Now then PM is the key. I liked what I saw last season--now let us see if he and the RAMBLERS can win the close ones rather than losing them. He and the team can and will, I feel. They are a year later now.

BTW I look for a huge year from Thomas and at least two of our shooting guards--any two !!

It truly is going to be fun !! and only six or so weeks away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 am 

Brot ... what I believe / hope Porter has this year vs. the last two is depth. I am very optimistic going into this year and yes I belive the talent is there to compete night in and night out in the MVC. We will surprise some people!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:44 am 

WELL, 83, we truly have depth in the post--or across the back line--AND if Sean chooses us ---WOW !!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:00 pm 

Rambler63 wrote:

Sideline x's and o's coaching, developing a successful overall system, composing solid game plans, player development, game management, selectively recruiting players that fit into a cohesive system, managing the roster to achieve development of position redundancy, and ensuring player eligibility are all elements of building a successful college system that account for MORE than 50% of making a winning program.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, here are my estimates of the relative value of the things you mentioned:

1. Sideline x's and o's coaching-29%

2. Developing a successful overall system-32%

3. Composing solid game plans-21.5%

4. Player development-17.75%

5 Game management-33.34%

6 Selectively recruiting players that fit into a cohesive system-9%

7. Managing the roster to achieve development of position redundancy-18%

8. Ensuring player eligibility-5%

I didn't do the math, but just eyeballing it I'm pretty sure it totals well over the 50% mark like you said.