It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:48 pm 

We lost 7 of our last 9 games, and three of them were against Southern Illinois. I think we're a better team, and if we won one of the first two games against them, we would have faced Missouri State in the first game instead.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:54 pm 

Henson is not a great coach. He did not make us shoot poorly or turn it over a zillion times.
Favored three times to beat these guys and losing each time......
We were consistent in playing down to the level of our opponents. We should be playing our game, not theirs...
Nothing to do with luck. Attitude? Confidence?
I'm sorry but I have such a bad taste in my mouth over our failures to play to our ability...
Maybe we aren't as ability filled as we want to think.
Time to rest up, regroup and figure out what the hell is going on.
Jackson zero? Milton zero till its over.... ?
We had a week to get ready, and rested, and threw up a stink bomb.
I'm sure the players feel bad, and I do not doubt they gave it their best. Just not good enough.
Let's get better, bigger and luckier next season.
Thanks to Milton Doyle for a great career. You deserved a better finish than this one. It's not on you.
So did all of our fans.
Back to the drawing board.
I need a vacation from here....
See you next season. GoRamblers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:04 pm 

Everytime we've lost at Arch Madness, I've been okay with the result. Of course I wasn't happy because we lost, but I know that in the losses we played our hearts and lost to a better team. But this time we lost a game against a team we're better than. We were missing shots we normally make. I am just so frustrated because I know we are better than what just happened. Sad that Milt goes out with a game like that. I hope in the coming days he realizes how much he has done for the program and the school.

Next year, I think we can be even better. Bigger, stronger, and I think Marques Townes is hungry to play. Definitely will miss Milton, but I can see us as high as 2, and making it to the Championship game. It was a good year this year with just a tough ending.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:16 pm 

U did get a rise poy of my Pals!! BUT check out the record starting with this year--WE were faves all three games---WE won none !! Henson knows how to at least beat us !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:50 pm 

In the long run, Hinson might not be a better coach than Moser or even an above average coach. That said, he out-prepared and out-coached Moser in every game this year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 pm 

In recruiting, I'd give Porter the edge. In graduating players and maintaining a "clean" team in terms of citizenship, Porter has done a great job. In most x's and o's situations, I have confidence in Moser. But I think some teams don't match up well with our roster, and SIU is obviously one of them. And in terms of motivating players, creating urgency, and generating on-court leadership Porter is a disappointment.

I'm so tired of playing good or mediocre teams to within 2-3 points of actually beating them (NC State, Illinois State, SIU, Evansville, Missouri State). Our BEST win this year in RPI was San Diego State (104), and the worst loss was Drake (316)-- that's a pretty weak resume.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:49 pm 

I wonder if Hinson just matches up with Moser well. Sometimes you just have a teams number. I think for whatever reason Moser teams play well against UNI and Ben Jacobson. Our first year we split despite us finishing 10th and them being 3rd. The next year obviously they swept but they were also a top 20 team. Last year we swept them before they won the tournament and were almost a sweet 16 team. Then this year we should've had a sweep, but lost it due to some controversial calls.

Obviously it might be something Porter and his staff need to figure out. As I said early, this was the first time I've seen our guys struggle and get so frustrated at Arch Madness. I think that it was more of a fluke game for us than anything. We play an average game and this conversation doesn't happen. I guess that's sports for ya.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:33 am 

Just woke up and still dwelling on yesterday's loss.
Looking at the box score, 33 of our 55 shots were from behind the line.
Kirby was 1-4, likely all inside set ups. Jackson had few touches.
SIU only took 14 three point shots.
I don't think LU was hoisting up threes because of lack of discipline. The plan was that our guys can make those
shots. Not yesterday. We held lSU to 55 points, less if you discount free throws at the end.
It seems we are all looking drop this on the coach, and maybe that is just a knee jerk reaction to frustration.
How many times do we come back to the need for an inside presence? What if we had some depth so we were not burnt in the last minutes of the half and end of game?
I also think that our opinion of Moser's job performance is not accurate. We are on the outside.
Maybe he gets credit for working in a very demanding environment, and should be appreciated for doing with what the program is given. His recruiting, so it seems, is excellent, again considering what the recruits know they are coming into at LU.
I think assistant coaches should be upgraded and targeted to things that Porter cannot possibly do.
My opinion is that continuity with recruiting is more important at this point than debating on the court results. Porter can't play in the game too!
Also, I would think that we don't know what the players think of their coach, and wouldn't they be a better barometer for the kind of job he is actually doing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7