It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 pm 

A shooting guard/small forward, he is transferring from St. Louis after his scholly was not renewed by coach Crews.

Loyola recruited him out of Cathedral High School in Indy, and I saw a tweet from a journalist that Loyola is interested.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:15 am 

swellafelon wrote:
A shooting guard/small forward, he is transferring from St. Louis after his scholly was not renewed by coach Crews.

Loyola recruited him out of Cathedral High School in Indy, and I saw a tweet from a journalist that Loyola is interested.

Drew was AAU teammates with Matt O'Leary and Coach Gardner was an assistant for a year or two at Cathedral High School in Indianapolis when Drew played there.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:20 pm 

From this article (emphasis mine): http://www.indystar.com/article/2013051 ... s-St-Louis

Quote:
“I definitely come away (from Saint Louis) with mixed feelings,” he said. “I was coming in with coach (Rick) Majerus and then the coaches that recruited me ended up leaving and coach Majerus passed away.”

Isn't that a real obvious reference to Porter?

And if there's any justice, this kid should be able to play right away. He redshirted a year, then gets run-off, and has to sit out another year? That would mean only 3 potential years of NCAA basketball for this kid unless he's granted the rare 6th year.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

ESPN's college basketball blog has a story about Jared Drew and how he got the news that his scholarship wasn't being renewed. He's appealing the transfer sit-out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... jared-drew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:10 pm 

This was the only way he could play this year. What a joke the NCAA is.

https://twitter.com/KyleNeddenriep/stat ... 1046333441

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

That's pretty bad. It seems like coaches and athletic programs living up to their word to student athletes has systematically been relegated to the province of so-called losers, suckers, and dupes. I don't blame the coaches and athletic programs entirely, because athletes themselves have been just as disloyal and sly about dropping their commitments whenever it's convenient-- it's just that you expect that kind of behavior from a 19-year old, and expect a little more from adults who are also (putatively) educators.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:35 pm 

Rambler63 wrote:
That's pretty bad. It seems like coaches and athletic programs living up to their word to student athletes has systematically been relegated to the province of so-called losers, suckers, and dupes. I don't blame the coaches and athletic programs entirely, because athletes themselves have been just as disloyal and sly about dropping their commitments whenever it's convenient-- it's just that you expect that kind of behavior from a 19-year old, and expect a little more from adults who are also (putatively) educators.

The problem I have is that there is a punishment for the student athlete (must sit out one year), but there is no punishment for the coach or institution. SLU should have to burn a scholarship for it or have some type of punishment. Either way, it must become a two-way street.