It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Armon Gates
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:27 am 

Hello Rambler fans,

Northwestern fan here. Sorry that we just poached an assistant from you. Just wanted to get the low down on Armon Gates, whom I know nothing of. Any info, including strengths and weaknesses would be appreciated. I heard he is a good recruiter? Yes? Can he recruit Chicago? And does he have a relationship with Vic Law and Tyler Ulis amongst other NU targets? How connected is he in the area, and where else does he recruit... bottom line what can we expect, and how sad are you to see him go...

thank you and best of luck this year

Post subject: Re: Armon Gates
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:20 am 

Word on the street is that he helped the Bulls recruit Michael Jordan. That's all I got...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 am 

LU Rambler12 wrote:
Word on the street is that he helped the Bulls recruit Michael Jordan. That's all I got...

He helped the Galileans recruit Jesus as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:34 am 

Evanston Cat. Loyola was really early on Tyler Ulis and I believe that AG was the recruiter. We have also offered Law. both are stretches for us but make me believe that we thought the superhero tandem of Moser and Gates could have maybe have pulled one of the two in which would really have been a game changer for LU. So the answer is that there was a very high probability that AG was involved both previously.
Also bring some of the Cat fans down to LU for a game. The new gym is intimate by nice. We have BEER and now we are putting together a better home schedule now that we have gone MVC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:37 am 

Serious answer: He seems like a good guy, and everyone seems to speak highly of him and his Chicago connections.

Sarcastic answer: You can tell by all the Top 100 recruits flocking to Loyola over the past two years that he is the greatest recruiter eva.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:42 am 

Oh...and I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that Antonio Gates (TE for the Chargers) may or may not be Armon Gates' brother.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 pm 

He was heavily involved in getting Milton Doyle to transfer here. Doyle is our first player out of the CPL to come here in over 10 years or something like that. He does have some decent recruiting contacts in Chicago. And the Doyle transfer is a start for us, but in 2 years he only really got one kid out of Chicago to stay home and play here (and that was after Doyle got homesick and depressed about his playing time at Kansas).

I also wouldn't say he's the primary contact for our recruitment of Vic Law though. That probably is Simone Law, a star on the Ramblers women's team and Victor's older sister.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:13 pm 

Sad to say but this is the price of a generation of neglect. The sorry statistics were in fact that in the Horizon League we were last in revenue available for athletics. There are very few corporate sponsors and with no radio package there is very little to offer sponsors in incentives.
Our arena is very small so even if filled other schools have greater revenue bases to tap into.
Father G is providing a $500,000 supplement for four years but there is a lot of work to be done.
Dr. Calhoun has a difficult task ahead of her. With her number one go to guy Dr.Kraft leaving for greener pastures at Temple, her life became much more difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 am 

From what I could tell, Armon is a good guy and I've not heard anyone speak a negative word of him. Think you'll find that he and Pat have very different styles - with Baldwin all business, all the time, and Gates a bit more laid back.

Superfan - Cortney Horton graduated in '08. Washington High alum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 am 

Gates is a salesman and a very good one really connects with the players !!! He can really turn it on with the parents also !!!