It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:20 am 

GoRamblers wrote:
ramblermgr9599 wrote:
A CBI/CIT season the prior year does not equal NIT or higher the following year. Look at previous CBI/CIT teams, sure some do but the majority do not. Moreover the NIT is very hard to get into with the new rules (auto bids for conf. champs that do not get in the ncaa, etc.).

I understand that. But look at what this team did last year. All things being equal, if we do not progress "forward," I view it as a failure. Being stagnant is not what I want. I don't want to continue to be relegated to the bottom two tournaments. Look at the fields for the CBI and CIT last year. Bigger name schools are turning down invites. They'd rather sit at home. Last year, playing in the CBI was exactly what we needed. It helped the team mesh, it helped the team grow, and it gave the team post season experience.

Think back to Blake and Majak's senior year. What were the expectations? What ended up happening? That season was a disappointment and if we relegate ourselves to the CBI or CIT again this year, it will be a disappointment as well.

I think there's a big difference between "disappointment" and "failure". I'd be disappointed if we don't get invited to the NIT, but for the reasons mgr laid out, it wouldn't necessarily be a failure.

We could win 21 games, make the Arch Madness semifinals again and not get that invite. I don't think that's a failure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:24 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
I think there's a big difference between "disappointment" and "failure". I'd be disappointed if we don't get invited to the NIT, but for the reasons mgr laid out, it wouldn't necessarily be a failure.

We could win 21 games, make the Arch Madness semifinals again and not get that invite. I don't think that's a failure.

To be sure. As I mentioned, all things being equal, staying stagnant is a failure to me. The reason I view it that way is because of the talent on this team and what the team last year had achieved. Winning does that to you. I know, as Rambler fans, we aren't used to winning. We aren't used to being in a position to "advance."

That said, we ran the CBI. There is nothing more to be gained from going back there. Same with the CIT (I view both in the same tier). I know that the words "fail" and "failure" are harsh. But, to paraphrase the Bible...to whom much is given, much is expected.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:47 am 

I'm not sure we would go back to the CBI or CIT this year. There's not all that much to gain this time around.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:52 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
I'm not sure we would go back to the CBI or CIT this year. There's not all that much to gain this time around.

Exactly, so it's NIT/NCAA or bust. And if we bust, using the word "failure" isn't that much of a stretch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:20 pm 

Well, last season we exceeded all expectations except perhaps Porter and our team. He has improved the team--now he must meld the Newbies into his system ( He should tweak the system a tad because he now has Bigs --I say teak , not remake--. He will do this I am sure--Good Coaches do this.
Our team is better, our schedule is better (tougher) . We will rise , hopefully to at least NIT level--Maybe more.

Go Ramblers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:26 pm 

brot4britu wrote:
Well, last season we exceeded all expectations except perhaps Porter and our team. He has improved the team--now he must meld the Newbies into his system ( He should tweak the system a tad because he now has Bigs --I say teak , not remake--. He will do this I am sure--Good Coaches do this.
Our team is better, our schedule is better (tougher) . We will rise , hopefully to at least NIT level--Maybe more.

Go Ramblers

Kirby will probably only average 15-18 minutes per game coming off the bench, maybe even less in the first half of the season. Adgei is a freshman who might get 8-10 mpg, and if it weren't for Knuth's injury, he would probably average only five minutes a game or so. Rajala might get 6 or 8 minutes in a game if he's badly needed because of foul trouble or rebounding problems, and average about 4 per game. Ingram will probably get 18-22 mpg, and James around 25-28. Moreover, only Kirby and Rajala are taller than 6'7". So I wouldn't say we've got "Bigs." We're still very understaffed and/or inexperienced in the frontcourt, and if we get another major injury besides Knuth, we're going to be in some trouble.

The starting lineup is going to be 6'3", 6'4", 6'4", 6'6", 6'7"-- not much change from last year-- and we've lost Christian Thomas' durability, experience and tenacity. I'm a little worried about glue guys who can come in and make an immediate difference on defense to stop runs, pressure shooters, make steals, and defend at the arc. Last year we had both Crisman AND Richardson doing that. Now we have to rely on Richardson alone, maybe with a little help from White.

As for what would be considered "success," I'd go along with the NIT as an aspirational and still achievable goal. I pegged us 4th for two reasons: the frontcourt inexperience and injury potential, and the fact that every other team striving for 2nd place through 5th place in Arch Madness seeding would beat us in a non-con SOS tiebreaker. With just a little bit of good luck and things breaking right, I could easily see us finishing 2nd, with 12 or 13 wins in conference, winning 21-22 games before Arch Madness. That still gives room for UNI, ISUr, and Evansville to win 10 or 11 games in conference and still finish below us. With a non-con win over Creighton OR New Mexico, going 7-2 at home in conference, and not losing a road game to Bradley, SIU, MSU, or Drake, that should be a fully achievable pathway to the NIT. We've got to stay healthy and play each and every game with energy and fire, which is very hard to do.