It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 pm 

Scream wrote:
ahunte1 wrote:
What's everyone's favorite memory of Steve Shields's time at Loyola?

I remember his hiring as though it were yesterday.

I agree that his hiring was a great moment, but it is so hard to choose just one!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:32 pm 

So disappointing for a few reasons:

1.) Steve Shields is a slimeball. It's more than fun to say it 5 times fast: it's 100% true. Special assistant? Daniyal Robinson was going to make some serious coin at ISU, so I can understand why he'll leave. But this guy gets fired, goes hat in hand to his old boss when he can't find a job after a few months, and his old boss has to totally shuffle his staff to accommodate him. Shields was listed as an associate head coach only a few days ago. So he comes in already at a higher position and salary (which I can see for an older guy who probably has a family to take care of), but it came at the expense of Emanuel Dildy (who moved back to 2) and Matt Gordon's position and salary. Then he leaves for a special assistant job at a bigger school but not exactly a world-beater in the weakest power conference sans Kentucky.
2.) I thought we were past this coaching carousel with PM. The blundering way he's dealt with staff is still a black mark that's Calhoun-esqe.
3.) Poor Matt Gordon. Even though he gets his position back (probably), he does it after being totally debilitated. It's too bad he wasn't the manager under Bob Knight or Krzyzewski and can turn it into another coaching job based on pedigree. I'm sure he has other connections in the basketball world, but the only really branch he has on a coaching tree is Porter. He probably has no better option in terms of job prestige, salary, city to live in, etc. than to stay on as a "assistant coach" under PM.