It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Walter Carlson
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:01 am 

Friends
I wanted to pass along that Jill's father, Walter Carlson passed away Thursday, after a long battle with COPD. Wally was a Chicago fireman for over 35 years. He was stationed on the west side at district 1 battalion 13 engine 95, which was the busiest in the U.S. during the 60's through the late 80's. He was active in the CFD Union and helped form the brotherhood of the barrel that was impetus for the 1980 strike during the Jane Byrne era. The thing Wally was most proud of was the concession for new and and safer equipment for firemen. Unfortunately for Wally the years of running into smoke filled buildings without a mask to save people in the end cause him to leave to our family to early. In the thirty years I've been with Jill, I have never met a fireman who didn't know Wally or had an unkind thing to say about him. Walter became a Rambler fan when I started dating Jill way back in the fall of 1984. I don't think he ever missed a game that was televised and listen to the radio broadcasts religiously during my tenure. It was a common bond we shared that was special between the two of us. Jill and I would laugh when she would call after games when I played saying Wally would swear a blue streak whenever I missed a free-throw. Please keep Jill and our family in your prayers. The full obit should be in the paper on Sunday.
http://www.smithcorcoran.com/obits/obit ... er-Carlson
Klu

Post subject: Re: Walter Carlson
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:19 am 

Deepest condolences to Jill,you and your family.My prayers are with you during this difficult time.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:37 am 

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

My mother died of COPD (brought on by smoking cigarettes), and I know firsthand how cruel the disease is.

And my grandfather was also a fireman in the Austin neighborhood way back in the day.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:19 am 

Very sorry, Klu. He sounds like a great man. Will be thinking about you and Jill.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:00 am 

My prayers to you and Jill--A sad time indeed. I will be corresponding with one of my nieces , Susie whose DAD , My Lor's brother who was a Chief on West side during the troubles in 1968-- Not sure which Station--but I wager there might have been a connection--Will advise later--
God bless both of you KLU !! BTW , his name was GEORGE HUMPHREVILLE--

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:43 am 

Condolences to the entire family, Klu. You all will be in our thoughts and prayers.