It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Marshall
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:28 am 

Well. as I often say " Its rug cuttin' time for Coach Marshall" Most of me says he should stay at WSU--The other part says he will take the money and desert a fine clean school and program for a BIG school and join up with Pearl, that paragon of virtue in the State of Alabama. I truly feel , what with the rise of LUC and the other well known schools in the Valley, that it will become soon a better Conf than the A-10, and others --At the moment we have six or seven teams that can compete with most any one--not all of course--AND we all know that this year's bottom feeders --see Bradley--will not be there for long---TOO MUCH TRADITION.
Our League did well in the four tourneys and are STILL doing so as of today.

Shockers were plainly beaten by a better ND team who could not miss early and late. (BTW this is what our guys should do Monday--hit early and often)

If Marshall stays , the Valley will be the better for it-- OBVIOUS , RIGHT ?

Post subject: Re: Marshall
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:30 am 

Well, we will see. I certainly hope he stays in the Valley, but I wouldn't blame him for taking the money, even if it's not at a blue blood school.

Somebody just posted this on the other board, but here's Marshall's tenure thus far at Wichita:

Quote:
2007-08: 11-20 (4-14), 9th
2008-09: 17-17 (8-10), 5th, CBI
2009-10: 25-10 (12-6), 2nd, NIT
2010-11: 29-8 (14-4), 2nd, NIT Championship
2011-12: 27-6 (16-2), 1st, NCAA
2012-13: 30-9 (12-6), 2nd, Final Four
2013-14: 35-1 (18-0), 1st, NCAA round of 32
2014-15: 30-5 (17-1), 1st, Sweet 16

Here's Porter Moser's record in his first two years in the Valley at Loyola:

2013-14: 10-22 (4-14), 10th
2014-15: 22-13 (8-10), 6th, CBI championship

Both 12-24 in conference after two years. Both jumped from the bottom half to the middle after year one. Both in the CBI in year two.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:09 pm 

I'd be willing to accept the Final 4 in 2018-19!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:04 am 

My guess is Marshall will move but not to Alabama, not to Tennessee but TEXAS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:11 pm 

He's already said no to Bama. They were never a threat. Marshall has never been all about the money. He's all about the winning. I have my doubts about his interest in Texas because they're a football school and he'd always take a back seat to that program. Texas is capable of being a powerhouse tough in my opinion. I also question if he wants to move his daughter while she's in HS.

I'd say that the odds are he's in Wichita next year. I believe his base pay will end up over 2M. Barnes was only making 2.5M at Texas. Not really the money incentive to make a move for him. It would come down to if he believes he'd be better off there long term. Marshall isn't going to coach forever, and IF he moves, I think it'll be his last job. Does he want that to be Texas? I don't personally see it as I think IF he wants to move, he'll wait for a basketball school. There are some aging coaches at a few of those schools and he might get a look from them when they retire in the next few years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:34 am 

CBS sports reporting that Coach Marshall has not said no as of yet and he is ALabamas #1 choice. He will be offered in excess of 20 MIllion over 6 years. They are reporting that Nick Saban may be brought in to be the closer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:52 pm 

I'd read reports where he had. I've heard 4.2M a year for 6 years. Word is Lynn and the kids don't want to go. And if Lynn doesn't want to go, he's not going. That's a lot of money to say no to, but it comes down to what's more important to him. A few extra million or winning? The money takes him to Bama, the winning keeps him in Wichita. He's staying in Wichita. Even Bama has already started reaching out to others. Namely, Richard Pitino.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:03 am 

Texas is much like Ohio State in the "but theyre a football school" category. Yes, football is the bread and butter but Texas has churned out many NBA players & lottery picks during Rick Barnes tenure. Marshall's would have the ability to recruit the best players in the country, future NBA lottery picks & be apart of one of the most lucrative athletic departments in the NCAA. Im not saying Wichita isnt a great program but Texas is just on another level "football school" or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:30 am 

440Rambler wrote:
Texas is much like Ohio State in the "but theyre a football school" category. Yes, football is the bread and butter but Texas has churned out many NBA players & lottery picks during Rick Barnes tenure. Marshall's would have the ability to recruit the best players in the country, future NBA lottery picks & be apart of one of the most lucrative athletic departments in the NCAA. Im not saying Wichita isnt a great program but Texas is just on another level "football school" or not.

I agree completely. Then Marshall has the chance to come in and do what Billy Donovan did at Florida. Its still a football school but he's won two national championships and produced a lot of NBA players. It just takes a lot of work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:54 pm 

And do fans care about basketball at Texas or Florida? Pretty sure FL still has a lot of empty seats despite their success.

And it doesn't matter as Marshall will be making 3.3M per year over the next 7 years by staying in Wichita.