It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Marshall
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:20 am 

A quick Google search tells me that Marshall's new salary would put him at #8 on the list of highest paid coaches in the country. Good for him. I do wonder, though, with a salary like that...are we going to start hearing rumors of Wichita jumping to a bigger conference with more revenue potential?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:53 am 

You may be correct 08 , but where would they go ? The Mountain West is the most local to them, I believe , and that is rather far flung--Southern Kansas to Alberquerque (sp?) to San Diego to Boise--WOW !! But then WSU is a "public" as it were. I think they stay put and the Conference grows in prestige plus maybe size (Tulsa and Valpo perhaps or maybe even St Louis !! )

We , of course are now on our way to helping the Valley rise from 9 to 8 or above.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:48 am 

This is interesting!

It appears Marshall may be able to get one of his assistant coaches back....

Coach Jans left WSU last year to take in the head coaching job at Bowling Green. Interestingly, in less than a year he completely turned the program around and gained 21 wins. It all seemed good.

BUT -- today he was fired for "public conduct". I have no idea what this means....

http://www.13abc.com/home/headlines/BGS ... =phone&c=y

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:07 am 

Whatever it was... it is being speculated that it involved inappropriate behavior toward at least one patron at an off-campus bar, which was captured on video. It must be something REALLY bad for him to get FIRED.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:23 pm 

brot4britu wrote:
You may be correct 08 , but where would they go ? The Mountain West is the most local to them, I believe , and that is rather far flung--Southern Kansas to Alberquerque (sp?) to San Diego to Boise--WOW !! But then WSU is a "public" as it were. I think they stay put and the Conference grows in prestige plus maybe size (Tulsa and Valpo perhaps or maybe even St Louis !! )

We , of course are now on our way to helping the Valley rise from 9 to 8 or above.

We would take the MWC, but the AAC has closer schools (Tulsa/SMU/Houston/Memphis). Both have a "spot" for a nonfootball to offset Hawaii/Navy who only play football. With that said, either is a long shot.

As far as the MVC growing to 12, I'll believe it when I see it. Tulsa will never happen as they play football. SLU has no desire to be in a midwest conference. They love their eastern exposure and are waiting for the Big East to go to 12. If we move to 12, it will be because UAB is getting booted from CUSA and that's a program that's probably too good to pass up. The question would be who would be number 12? Many have speculated that we'd take a shot with Belmont to keep a public/private balance. Would put us in another decent sized city and a new area and not a crazy distance from the eastern members. Of course, ORU would get mentioned, but I don't see it.

If we didn't care about the public/private aspect, Murray State would be a definite possibility.

But if UAB gets booted from CUSA, the MVC better be giving them spot 11 before they're all packed. I don't care if they're a bit far and in the south, you can't let a program like that get away. Especially since they wouldn't be spending millions on football anymore and could focus on basketball, which they have a pretty solid history with anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:27 am 

VALPO !! and ????

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:50 am 

If they were taking a private school I would like to see Detroit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:06 am 

think
1` new tv markets( do we go east, west, south, north? or two directions.
2. bigger tv markets ( Nashville, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis
3. maintaining private/public balance
4. Giving Wichita St. a little brother to play with since Creighton left home (Denver)
5. one of football members not already in basketball ( YUounstown St. South Dakota, SOuth Dakota St)

How bout Long Shots???? Iowa State gets tired of football team getting bottom of barrel
St. Louis tired of traveling

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:16 am 

natetheskate wrote:
think
1` new tv markets( do we go east, west, south, north? or two directions.
2. bigger tv markets ( Nashville, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis
3. maintaining private/public balance
4. Giving Wichita St. a little brother to play with since Creighton left home (Denver)
5. one of football members not already in basketball ( YUounstown St. South Dakota, SOuth Dakota St)

How bout Long Shots???? Iowa State gets tired of football team getting bottom of barrel
St. Louis tired of traveling

The big thing for WSU is that the new school is west. They have been frustrated that the footprint is heavily leaning east. I think that's why a lot of their fans wanted Denver.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:45 am 

http://deadspin.com/charles-koch-ponied ... 1695496201

It appears that Charles Koch was responsible for keeping Marshall in Kansas.