It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:36 am 

Most folks disagreed when i said the MSU loss killed our at-large...but honestly we should stop the at-large conversation. At the moment its not on the table. Perhaps if we turn things around and start playing much better we can get back into that conversation but as of now we're 2-2 in our last 4 with the two losses coming against the only teams over .500 we've played and the 2 wins coming against a middle of the pack .500 team. Losing against Drake and MSU isnt bad just because theyre losses, but because their changes at reasonably good wins which the schedule isnt chalk full of.

We need to start beating good teams and worry about the Valley more than we need to worry about an at-large our resume doesnt support at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:07 am 

I don't see the problem with us discussing our tournament chances as fans, but I agree that if we don't start playing better it's an irrelevant question. We're on a pretty steady downward trajectory right now. Maybe it's just a bad shooting slump (under 30% from three in 3 of 4 games) but I also think the coaches need to find ways for our most effective players to take the best shots. That means Knight, Norris, and Lucas, with Marquise and Aher using their athleticism to make plays. When Schwieger and Hutson have the highest usage rates on the team, that seems like a coaching problem. We're adding up to way less than the sum of our parts right now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:58 am 

At large is compelling and think it’s worthy of a discussion. As stated above, if we don’t turn it around, it will be a moot point. Best case scenario is we right the ship and win Arch Madness, right now that’s not looking promising.

Analytically the loss yesterday didn’t hurt badly, today we are 32 in kenpom and 31 net. On its face those are good numbers and we should be in the tourney. Think the real question is do we trust the committee? I’m firmly in the no camp, they rarely if ever go on the side of mid majors. We are good for ratings, fun story, giant slayer the past few times in, have Sister Jean, and that’s all stuff the NCAA takes into consideration as it’s about money for them. Is that enough for us if we don’t win valley regular season or in St. Louis? I doubt it. We need to win regular season conference at least to secure the NIT and keep ourselves in the convo for an at large. If we win regular season and fall in the tourney I could see us being the the first four games, if we falter in both regular season and St. Louis, likelihood is we don’t make it.

Tough reality but most likely outcomes. I hope we can get our mojo back, but with each game it doesn’t look like we are going to get back to early season form. Now if the time for our senior laden team to respond and for Coach V to show us he’s a great coach that can adjust when adversity hits. We need to see it on the floor. Go Ramblers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:29 pm 

Ramblers really can't afford to turn it over like that. We are one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the country (partially by design since we prioritize getting back in transition). So if we have the ball, we need to get a shot up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:32 pm 

again poor 3% shooting...lots of little things,,,,our bench was outscored was suppossed to and needs to be a strength. more turnovers to assists...always bad...they had more blocks, more points off of fast breaks, more steals.....and then the foul descrpency..........all the little things add up......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:05 pm 

Ticking through the box score, one thing that jumps out to me is that Schwieger and Hall combined for 30 minutes of play with TWO total points on 1-2 shooting. I get Hall gets his playing time more for his defense, but we need more from him. Schwieger has just been so rough lately that I think he should be used in a reduced role until he can figure it out. His defense isn't great and with him struggling so much on offense, I am not sure what he is bringing to the table. Would love to see Welch get more minutes, but he may not be quick enough to guard wing players.

Braden and Lucas have also been playing way too much. Clemons & Quise should be getting more run at PG to lessen the load on Braden. Lucas is so essential to this team, but he is going to wear down with these minutes. Shot 0-5 from deep yesterday...tired legs?

Also need more on the offensive end from Uguak. 35 minutes played and shot 1-4. Need to create more opportunities for him around the rim where he is really tough to guard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:37 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
Need to create more opportunities for him around the rim where he is really tough to guard.

This is what I meant by letting him and Marquise use their athleticism. I think Tate is good around the basket, too-- when he's going TOWARD the rim, not angling out and shooting a fade away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:12 pm 

Talked to someone who was at the game the other day......He said that Drake really focuse on not letting Norris get loose or get good shots......as mentioned before we need to get production from a lot of guys who have not produced recently.......Somehow we have to get the correct combo on the court.... but has it crossed anyones mind that officials no longer view us as a conference team?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:20 pm 

It ain’t the officiating...in the MVC games, the Ramblers have made more free throws than the opponents have attempted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:52 pm 

Agreed, let’s not be that team/ fan base. There are several games we got the free throw edge. We need to execute better.