It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:05 pm 

Townes went 3-17, yeah we lost because of officiating.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:12 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:
I did an edit a bit too late.

We needed to adjust and we didn't. Period. But let's not pretend that the officiating didn't take us out of our game. Marques and Krut bring it inside and attack the basket. When the refs blatantly ignore fouls, that gives the other team the advantage.

We lost the game officiating aside, don’t give me that bs.

I mean, sure. It was a one possession game, so, yes, if we we had made that open reverse layup or gotten one more defensive rebound or whatever, it could have been a win. But the officiating was a joke. The most blatant miss was the offensive foul on Aher. But if you saw any other game in this tournament you saw foul after foul, heard whistle after whistle. Somehow tonight there were six fouls on Bradley, minus the ones they gave intentionally at the end. That is absurd. Especially when they were crashing in for offensive rebounds and flying for blocks, playing a very physical game. I'm not blaming Bradley, mind you. As JCT said, that's how they wanted to play and the refs let them do it, so why not? And it took us too long to adjust and stop trying for contested layups. Bradley won it, for sure. But that was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:15 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Blers42 wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:

We needed to adjust and we didn't. Period. But let's not pretend that the officiating didn't take us out of our game. Marques and Krut bring it inside and attack the basket. When the refs blatantly ignore fouls, that gives the other team the advantage.

I mean, sure. It was a one possession game, so, yes, if we we had made that open reverse layup or gotten one more defensive rebound or whatever, it could have been a win. But the officiating was a joke. The most blatant miss was the offensive foul on Aher. But if you saw any other game in this tournament you saw foul after foul, heard whistle after whistle. Somehow tonight there were six fouls on Bradley, minus the ones they gave intentionally at the end. That is absurd. Especially when they were crashing in for offensive rebounds and flying for blocks, playing a very physical game. I'm not blaming Bradley, mind you. As JCT said, that's how they wanted to play and the refs let them do it, so why not? And it took us too long to adjust and stop trying for contested layups. Bradley won it, for sure. But that was ridiculous.

I do Agree the officiating was ridiculous but when our star player goes 3-17.... it’s hard to say that’s the reason we lost. It shouldn’t have even mattered.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:38 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:

You're right. It was just a coincidence that Bradley had a season low in fouls and a season high in blocks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:39 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
I do Agree the officiating was ridiculous but when our star player goes 3-17.... it’s hard to say that’s the reason we lost. It shouldn’t have even mattered.

I agree with this until you realize he’s probably not 3-17 if they’re calling the clear shooting fouls. A big part of Townes game this year has been drawing contact and getting to the line. He was hit HARD on at least 4-5 attempts; those translate to free throws;open up better lanes etc. Bradley outplayed us with the given ruleset; honestly if we could just rebound the ball better we win as well; too many third chances for Bradley; who looked just as miserable on offense except kennel and child’s.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:42 pm 

GoRamblers wrote:
Blers42 wrote:
GoRamblers wrote:

You're right. It was just a coincidence that Bradley had a season low in fouls and a season high in blocks.

So we’re just going to ignore Townes season low in shooting? Hahaha. We didn’t play a great game, Bradley won don’t be salty about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:47 pm 

Out of curiosity, why do you think Townes had such a bad game?

Do you think it maybe had something to do with the fact that his game relies on driving to the lane? And that opens up his mid-range game?

What do you think happens when he is getting fouled near the hoop, causing him to not finish? If his driving game isn't a threat, how do you think the defense plays his mid-range?

All that aside, you did see where I make mention of us not adjusting to the game being called, right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:47 pm 

I think we are going to be pleasantly surprised next year. It’s the night of our exit from the conference tournament, so we can be bummed out, but I think the future looks bright, and looking back on this season, we actually did a great job. We won the conference regular season and finished with 20 wins (and maybe more). Last years’ regular season had six losses. This years season had 12 — BUT:

1) We had a tougher non-conference schedule this year.

2) This years team had a target on its back - and got the most fired up team to beat us every time
We took the floor. We were also picked #1 in the conference. Weren’t we picked fourth or fifth last year?

3) despite having a lot of talent back with the big three, we didn’t have the lengthy time to create Chemesty among the players as last years team. Last years team really only lost Doyle, but got lucky enough to add Krutwig. Custer, Townes (RS), Ingram, Jackson, Richardson (and Skokna) were all with the 2016-2017 team and had time to gel together, and were all quite familiar with each other’s styles and Porters system going into the 2017-2018 season. Last year, we were learning to play without Doyle with a weaker non-con schedule. This year we were learning to play without Ingram, Richardson, and Jackson... and really, for the bulk of the season, Williamson as well. And we did it with a much tougher schedule. That seems like a way harder task than last year if you objectively stand back and look at it. They stepped up to it though, and found a way to get 20 wins.

4)everybody saw our stars and our schemes last year - we were looked at, dissected, and analysed by the college basketball community non-stop for 2 and a half weeks. Everyone we played this year knew all about Krut, Townes and Custer and had 5 really great pieces of film to scout us with, see our offense, etc. But last year we were a bunch of kids that came out of nowhere. We snuck up on everyone. This year we snuck up on NO ONE.

I don’t buy into next year being a rebuilding year. It’s just losing 2 guards. I don’t necessarily care that it’s two POYS, because Porters system is built around team offense and not a star player ( look how well that worked out for Yarborough and ISU). Williamson, Krut, Uguak and Kaifus will all be back next year, and we just don’t know what any of these three freshmen’s potential is. Nobody on here was thinking Krutwig, when he came in, would be a guy who was scoring 17 points against the university of Michigan in front of 76,000 people. Any of those three (or all of those three) could be the next diamond in the rough, like Krut, that puts this team over the top.

We still have a chance to win an NIT title this year. 68 of the best teams aren’t gonna be in our bracket - so no excuses. We have a chance this year to hang yet another banner in Gentile. And even if we don’t, we are a 20-win, returning conference champ, with a returning Final 4 coach, with the pre-season player of the year, the best defender in the conference, and 3 highly touted recruits with huge potential next year.

ONWARD NIT
ONWARD Seniors
ONWARD LU!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:35 pm 

9 blocks,,,13 offensive rebounds were the significant one......the game was physical, the refs let the game be physical...and when that happens it will benefit the physically superior team which was Bradley. Townes did not have his best shooting game and YES some of his missed drives were fouls but he also had 5 assists, 5 rebounds and 3 steals.....in the last crucial 5 minutes...Bradley got some looks and makes on some 3s that I believe were defensive lapses...cept one that Brown hit from NBA range...
Very proud of this team, very proud of their effort today...while it may not have been their best game they left everything on the floor....they were devastated coming off the floor....this is a good group of kids who represented the school extremely well. And while they may not gotten to where we wanted them to....what they did do was way more important,,,,they have revived an interest in LU basketball....started to fill the gym,,,get students involved and played a great brand of basketball.....
So for those of you who are selfishly angry or mad ....faggitabout it...this team deserves a ton of respect and thanks......and a sharing in a disappointing end to the Conference Tournament....
Ramblers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:56 pm 

Bradley's game plan worked(bad boys of Detroit)
I think they knew going into the game the refs weren't going to blow their whistles. We were at dinner Friday, an alum from SIU came over and told us how the game was going to go today, unbelievable! Everything he said happened(the refs will dictate the game not making calls, letting them play supposedly, Hinson will retire if he loses, we will lose if they didn't make the calls because the style of play Loyola plays(krut&townes). The last thing, Coach Brian replacing Hinson, we'll know that after the smoke clears.

I'm going to say this and I think this is HUGE: 2 FOUL CALLED ON BRADLEY ONLY, until the last 25 secs of the game.

That's all I have to say about that.

Another note. I finally met Norville!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next